Wednesday, September 3, 2014

The Grand Budapest Hotel Poems

The Grand Budapest Hotel is a comedy movie, written and directed by Wes Anderson and inspired by the writings of Stefan Zweig. The movie opened in the United States on March 7, 2014.
It recounts the adventures of M.Gustave, a legendary concierge at a famous European hotel between the wars, and Zero Moustafa, the lobby boy who becomes his most trusted friend.

Throughout the movie, characters begin reciting poetry. These poems as Wes Anderson said "This is a little pastiche. I just made them up. They don’t exist beyond that. None of them get very far." in an interview conducated by A.J. Goldmann, are transitory and interrupted by plot.

The bits and pieces of the movie that caught my eye...below

"While questing once in noble wood of gray, medieval pine, I came upon a tomb, rain-slick'd, rubbed-cool, ethereal, its inscription long-vanished, yet still within its melancholy fissures..."
M. Gustave 

 "A moist, black ash dampens the filth of a dung-dark rat's nest and mingles with the thick scent of wood rot while the lark song of a guttersnipe..."
M. Gustave

  "Twas first light when I saw her face upon the heath, and hence did I return, day-by-day, entranced,
tho' vinegar did brine my heart, never..."
 Zero

 "If this do be me end, farewell! cried the wounded piper-boy, whilst the muskets cracked and the yeomen roared 'Hurrah!' And the ramparts fell. Methinks me breathes me last, me fears!' said he..."
 M. Gustave

  "Whence came these two radiant, celestial brothers, united, for an instant, as they crossed the stratosphere of our starry window? One from the East and one from the West."
 Agatha

This Wes Anderson "masterpiece" is fulfilled with colour and irony. I would definitely recommend this movie to anyone.

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful poetries. This movie is incredible, I really like it.

    Good site too.

    ReplyDelete